Today was a surprisingly productive day here at brokeandstoke.
I never intended to get so much done today; it just kind of happened. One minute I was wearing sweat pants, un-showered, standing in the kitchen, eating my breakfast. Next thing I knew, my hands were masked in teal rubber gloves and it was two and half hours later. My apartment? Spotlessly clean. I’m pretty sure somebody knocked me out, cleaned everything, and then framed me for it.
This morning I woke up from a dream where I’d been vacuuming the accumulated lint out of the bottom of my laundry hamper. This was possibly the most boring dream I have ever had. For serious, Brain? Vacuuming?
When I was a child I used to fly in my dreams; now I only do household chores.
It’s clear that my fear of black clothing lint, and the fact that I haven’t really cleaned my apartment in about a month, has been eating it’s way into my subconscious.
FUN FACT: I feel like a tree hugger right now; my apartment is spotless thanks to using only DIY natural cleaning solutions. Tea tree oil, white vinegar, water, baking soda and coarse sea salt made my bathroom, floors and kitchen gorgeously clean. Is it weird that DIY cleaning solutions excite me? Why not- natural ingredients are inexpensive to use and they perform better than commercial cleaning products, in my experience. They’re also healthier for the environment.
LINK to DIY Cleaning Solution: https://brokeandstoke.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/three-ingredient-multipurpose-cleaning-solution/
Fun fact #2: Eating peanut butter, oats and bananas in the morning is the only way to begin a productive day.
As part of the PBOB Series for January, I’d like to share a sweet and satisfying breakfast: Peanut butter, oats and banana breakfast hash. This hash is reminiscent of decadent weekend breakfast options, like french toast and pancakes, only it’s more filling and great for busy mornings because it’s quick to make. Gluten free and protein rich, I guarantee this hash will keep you full until lunch.
Not to mention you most likely already have all of the ingredients on hand.
Is anybody else drooling right now?
PBOB SERIES: Peanut Butter, Oats and Banana Breakfast Hash
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana, sliced thickly
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Optional: drizzle of honey, sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a skillet or frying pan on high heat. Once melted, add the oats to the skillet and coat them in the oil. Stir the oats frequently for about 45 seconds, until they are golden.
3. Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble them together with the oats. Add the sliced banana to the skillet and continue to scramble everything over high heat for a minute, or until the bananas are heated through. If you wish to add the optional cinnamon, sprinkle it over the hash and mix everything thoroughly.
4. Take the skillet off of the heat and plate the hash. Drizzle a tablespoon of natural peanut over the hash, and a drizzle of honey, if you prefer.
5. Revel in the healthy decadence!
This is an especially delicious breakfast to eat during the colder months because of it’s heartiness. It’s also a great pre-workout meal since it contains healthy carbohydrates from the bananas and oats and a dose of protein from the eggs; a complete meal!
Comforting peanut butter, oat and banana goodness for your belly!
That’s all for brokeandstoke today!
All images copyright brokeandstoke